Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Coachella; then and next

Of course, lots to report on "Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival."

Before I get into today's announcements, I did get to attend the L.A. premiere of the film on January 19, 2006. I meant to post my thoughts about the full-length film the next day, but I had to cover NAMM (the huge music conference) in Anaheim that day and all day the following day, so I was beat.

But the film is excellent. It's impossible to include performances from every act that has played since the fest's launch last century. So the director of the film, Drew Thomas (who was at the screening and made introductions), kind of puts you there. You get a sense of what makes Coachella so unique and so real. And all about the music. My favorite performances in the film came from Morrissey and Radiohead, but the overall film itself captures the magic in a way most recent concert pics have failed. When Zero 7 played, it reminded me of Hendrix at the Woodstock, a kind of saddness that rarely comes across on the silver screen in rock movies...

Now, today they announced the initial list of acts performing at the upcoming 7th annual Coachella, to be held in Indio on Saturday and Sunday, April 29-30. We already knew about Depeche Mode, but now comes word that Depeche Mode will be the final act on Saturday, while Tool will close the whole thing on Sunday. Other acts include two I haven't seen before and am really looking forward to seeing, Scotland outfit Franz Ferdinand and Iceland's Sigur Ros.

Sunday's highlights will likely come in sets delivered by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Scissor Sisters, Bloc Party and Sleater-Kinney. But then part of the magic of Coachella is not knowing who will blow you away.

No comments: