Monday, November 28, 2005

Rock Hall names inductees; excuse me while I yawn

With the exception of the Sex Pistols, I just can't work up any kind of excitement about the list of names going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March 2006.

Miles Davis, jazz great. No connection to rock.

Black Sabbath, Blondie, Lynyrd Skynyrd...are you kidding me? Is this the best they can do. I have said it before, I'll say it today and again. Music put in the hall should have some lasting and artistic value. It should represent rock artists who craft original music that sounded great when it was recorded, and will have a lasting influence on listeners and other musicians. I really don't believe the work of Black Sabbath, Blondie and Lynyrd Skynyrd meets that test in the long run.

Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released. Still no Hall & Oates, still no Gram Parsons, still no Cure. All those artists have been commercial successes, but also paved the way for others who came after.

But we get Blondie. You think she belongs alongside the Beatles and Buddy Holly? I didn't think so...with that kind of logic, I think we are doomed to see plenty of lightweight types join the ranks in the years to come.

No comments: