TOM PETTY and The Heartbreakers to release multiple disc, career-spanning 'The Live Anthology' in November 2009
Configurations and unique features of Definitive Live Set will include a first-of-its-kind Blu-ray Audio Disc andThe Super Highway Tour online music experience
Burbank, CA – The week of November 22, 2009, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers and Reprise Records will release "The Live Anthology," a multiple-disc set of recordings drawn from 30 years of live performances. The collection brings together material from 1978-2007 culled from hundreds of hours of live concert recordings covering every era of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ tours and represents the best tracks as chosen by producers Tom Petty, Mike Campbell and Ryan Ulyate.
"The Live Anthology" will come in multiple configurations including a 5-CD collector’s deluxe box set available only at Best Buy that will include a first-of-its-kind audio-only Blu-ray disc. The collector’s deluxe package will be in Best Buy stores on November 22, 2009. All other configurations will be in stores and available online on November 24, 2009.
The release of "The Live Anthology" comes on the heels of two sold out tours, the Grammy winning documentary "Runnin’ Down A Dream" (directed by Peter Bogdanovich), and a headline performance at the Super Bowl XLII halftime show. Now, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - one of rock and roll’s greatest touring bands – will mark their unparalleled string of successes with the release of this landmark collection of live recordings that is unlike anything previously available—the band’s story told through the music alone.
The producers made no fixes or overdubs, letting the newly-mixed original recordings showcase the invention, spontaneity, craft, and the musicianship that has made Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers among the most celebrated live performers of their time. Along with powerful interpretations of their own classic hits and originals, "The Live Anthology" features the band tackling some of their best-loved cover material, from classics to obscure beauties to unexpected adaptations. The theme from Goldfinger, the Zombies’ “I Want You Back Again,” the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” early Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well,” Booker T. and the MGs’ “Green Onions,” James Brown’s “Good, Good Lovin’” and many more. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers travel wide, paying their musical debts through song and showing just how confidently the band moves across genres and over time.
The Live Anthology will be available in the following five configurations featuring artwork and packaging by renowned contemporary artist Shepard Fairey http://www.studionumberone.com/, http://www.obeygiant.com/
A deluxe box set available only at Best Buy featuring 62 tracks on 5 CDs PLUS
- Two previously unreleased DVDs including the 1978 New Year’s Eve concert from Santa Monica , CA and the Martyn Atkins documentary 400 Days shot during the recording and tour for Wildflowers.
- A re-mastered vinyl of the 1976 Official Live ‘Leg bootleg.
- A High Resolution Blu-ray Audio Disc featuring all 62 tracks in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. This disc has 256 times more audio resolution than a CD.
- AND MORE (see details below).
A four CD set of 48 tracks
A 48 track digital album
A seven LP vinyl box set of 51 tracks mastered directly from the uncompressed 24-bit 96K files and pressed on 180-gram audiophile quality high performance vinyl.
The entirely unique Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers SuperHighway Tour (http://www.tompettysuperhighwaytour.com/)
The Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers SuperHighway Tour is a first of its kind, online-only music experience that delivers 24 of the 48 Live Anthology tracks as high-quality digital downloads and on-demand streams over 8 weeks in advance of the Live Anthology’s release. Ticketholders will receive an insider’s view of those 24 tracks, through archived memorabilia reproduced on the site, new band commentary, classic reviews, and curated content from the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers vaults. Fans will also be able to share their photos and stories from their favorite Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers shows. Then on the album’s November 24th release, ticketholders will receive the remaining 24 tracks on The Live Anthology, thereby completing the digital album.
Access to the SuperHighway Tour will be available to fans that purchase tickets from Ticketmaster.com or through the Superhighway Tour box office. Tickets for the entire 8-week SuperHighway Tour go on sale September 29th at 10am EST/7am PST through Ticketmaster.com and TomPettySuperHighwayTour.com. The price of a SuperHighway Tour ticket includes all 48 The Live Anthology digital tracks plus the 8-week online experience for $24.98 without any additional service fees. Downloads will be available in 256kbps MP3 or FLAC formats - fan’s choice.
A FREE PREVIEW of the SuperHighway Tour also starts on September 29th at http://www.tompettysuperhighwaytour.com and includes a FREE DOWNLOAD of a track from the 1981 run of shows at Los Angeles’ Forum.
The Live Anthology Configurations:
48 tracks on 4 CDs plus booklet.
Deluxe Box Set- Available Only at Best Buy.
- 62 tracks on 5 CDs including 14 exclusive tracks on the 5th disc only available in the collector’s deluxe box set.
- DVD of 400 Days, a previously unreleased documentary film by director Martyn Atkins, made during the 1995 Wildflowers Tour.
- DVD of previously unreleased New Years Eve 1978 Santa Monica , CA concert.
- Vinyl of the re-mastered 1976 Official Live ‘Leg bootleg album.
- One Blu-ray disc of all 62 tracks in both stereo and surround sound. This high resolution Blu-ray is an audio only disc with basic song navigation and information displayed on the screen. The 96K 24-bit audio on the disc has 256 times more resolution than a CD providing greater detail and reproducing the music’s full dynamic range, from the softest to the loudest sounds.
- Deluxe book with liner notes offering personal perspective by Tom Petty, Warren Zanes, Bill Flanagan, Robert Hilburn, Joel Selvin, Austin Scaggs, and Phil Sutcliffe.
- Lithograph reproduction of Shepard Fairey Cover Art (12” x 12” on high quality stock)
- Reproduction of 1997 twenty night Fillmore stand concert poster (8” x 12” on high quality stock)
- The Live Anthology notebook.
- Assorted authentic vintage backstage satin passes.
Vinyl Deluxe Box Set
- 51 tracks mastered directly from the uncompressed 24-bit 96K files and pressed on 7 180-gram audiophile quality vinyl LPs.
- Deluxe book with liner notes offering personal perspective on the band and their music by Tom Petty, Warren Zanes, Bill Flanagan, Robert Hilburn, Joel Selvin, Austin Scaggs, and Phil Sutcliffe.
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers SuperHighway Tour- A First-Of-Its-Kind Online-Only Music Experience
- The entire 48 track Live Anthology delivered digitally via TomPettySuperHighwayTour.com.
- 24 tracks from The Live Anthology will be delivered over a period of 8 weeks prior to the album’s release and the remaining 24 tracks will be delivered on the album’s street date of November 24th.
- The first 24 tracks include an insider’s online experience including new band commentary, archival memorabilia, vintage photos, videos, classic reviews from the shows, access to the SuperHighway Tour merchandise booth with limited edition authentic t-shirts, and even more vintage material.