Friday, September 28, 2007

Don't get me started; Rock Hall nominations

Even if I ever get to Cleveland, I can't think of many reasons to go to the Rock and Roll Hame of Fame. That rings true after the Associated Press announced today that Madonna is among this year's nominees. I'm sick.

While eligible and deserving artists such as Hall & Oates, Ringo Starr, Bruce Cockburn and the Cure have long been ignored, there is every liklihood that the class of 2008 ("the leading vote-getters will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel" according to AP) will feature non-rockers like Madonna, Donna Summer and the Beastie Boys. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if in a crowded field of potential inductees that includes the likes of John Mellencamp, Leonard Cohen and surf rock pioneers The Ventures, only one actual rock-styled artist gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. Ain't that a shame...

No comments: