Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Weekend remembered

I didn't post over the 4th of July weekend. But I have a multiple of excuses.

There was Hootenanny '05, a day-long festival next to Irvine Lake on Saturday, July 2nd. I got there early, so I could park next to the gate. And I was there all day, getting in early enough to check out Social Distortion's 30-minute soundcheck that kicked off at 11:45 or so, and was there until the Orange County band's actual set ended around 7:30 p.m. It was a long day and the music was generally very strong. And it was a hot one! Those energy drinks were a lifesaver.

In addition to the strong performance from Social D (highlights came off the band's latest album, notably the songs "Reach for the Sky" and "Highway 101"), I really enjoyed Lee Rocker's set. He delivered some great moments across 30 minutes, particularly a reworking of his old band, the Stray Cats, "Rock This Town" and a song titled "Runnin' from the Hounds" that really rocked.

Ever heard of Ricky Warwick? I hadn't either until I saw him perform at Hootenanny in 2004, and the Irish singer-songwriter returned this year. I enjoyed his set even more this weekend. He has that Steve Earle-John Mellencamp element and put on a great show.

Other great moments came courtesy of punk-styled Throw Rag, James Intveld and Deke Dickerson.

What about Live 8? Because I was at Hootenanny, I taped the day-long broadcast from VH1 and caught the ABC highlights special live that night. I also caught part of the CMT hour special last night. I was disgusted by the coverage. The stupid veejays injecting penny thoughts in the middle of songs. No Neil Young, no Cure, no Bruce Cockburn? I understand Paul McCartney played "Helter Skelter," but never a second of it on the tube. MTV is about anything but music these days.

Hopefully, some of the performances will be released later on DVD minus the chit chat...

No comments: