Thursday, May 26, 2005

Is Anyone Listening?

Can we be honest here?

I tuned into Yahoo’s online Adult Alternative radio station today. Things started out great; heck Coldplay’s “Speed of Sound” was the first cut that was played. But things went downhill from there (with the exception of U2’s “With or Without You” somewhere along the way). Both Rob Thomas and Matchbox Twenty, Jewel, Sheryl Crow – that is not exactly my idea of alternative. More of the same old’ same ‘ol.
And like throwing the poor penguin out in the sands of the Sahara, why play any cut from Kelly Clarkson. I guess it’s the theory about reaching down to the lowest common denominator. If you want to really offer up some great cuts from the so-called Adult Alternative genre, what about some of the latest work courtesy of Ocean Colour Scene, Glen Phillips, Aimee Mann or Bruce Cockburn? Or the Finn Brothers, Ron Sexsmith, Ryan Adams or Bright Eyes…I could be wrong. I wish I were wrong.

No comments: